Gastric Balloon For Weight Loss
If you are struggling with your weight, what many people do is watch TV commercials for exercise programs and diet plans. They check out grocery store magazines with headlines on the “best” way to lose and maintain weight.
Although diet and exercise can help maintain a healthy weight, some people find it difficult to lose weight using only these methods. For people with other medical conditions, including type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease, weight loss can be critical. In these cases, weight loss surgery such as gastric bypass has long been recommended. But not everyone wants or qualifies for this type of surgery. What do you do when you need to lose weight, but traditional weight loss surgery is not suitable?
Following are endoscopic techniques for weight loss. Dr Venu Gopal Pareek, 15 years experienced bariatric and laparoscopic surgeon, works at Sunshine Hospitals, Secunderabad explains in this article how this minimally invasive technique works and why you can choose it over weight loss surgery.
What is a gastric balloon?
A gastric balloon, also known as an intragastric balloon, is a short-term, non-surgical way to lose weight. This is a soft silicone balloon that is temporarily inserted into your stomach to partially fill it so you can feel more quickly after eating small amounts of food. It offers weight loss solutions that help patients make lifestyle changes. It is used when the patient’s BMI is not high for surgery.
Who should get gastric balloons?
A gastric balloon can be an ideal choice for you if your body mass index falls between 30 and 35 BMI. It is also essential that you provide your doctor with a complete medical history to show that you have not had oesophagal surgery or gastric complications before. It is also important to be ready to accept changes in a healthy lifestyle, including a healthy diet and exercise program. It would help if you were willing to actively participate in behavioural therapy and routine medical follow-up after the procedure.
What is involved in gastric balloon surgery?
Installation of a gastric balloon:
- The gastric balloon is inserted into the stomach through the mouth.
- Your surgeon will perform a preliminary examination of your abdomen with an endoscopic camera.
- If no abnormalities are observed, your surgeon will continue to insert a balloon through your mouth and throat into your stomach.
- The balloon consists of a soft and flexible silicone elastomeric material arranged in the smallest, inflated shape.
- Swallowing is made easy with a throat spray that numbs the throat area.
- Muscle relaxants medications are also used.
- Once the balloon is in your stomach, it is immediately filled with a sterile saline solution through a small filling tube (catheter) attached to the balloon.
- Once filled, your surgeon will remove the catheter by gently pulling on its outer end.
- The balloon has its sealing valve, and at this point, the balloon floats freely in your stomach.
- Placement times vary but usually takes 20 to 30 minutes. A weight-loss surgeon will then watch you for a short time, and then you can return home.
- You may need to take a small amount of clear liquid six hours after the actual procedure. Your doctor can give you liquid food for a week before you start eating soft foods. After the balloon is inserted, it will take about three weeks before you start eating a regular diet.
How do gastric balloons work?
The gastric balloon takes up space in your stomach, so you feel full faster and need to eat less. When you eat less, you lose weight. Eating soft foods, pastries, or high-calorie liquids won’t help.
This will allow you to get used to smaller portions and adopt a healthier lifestyle. Hopefully, with balloon removal, you will continue your lifestyle and diet, and exercise. You will need to follow a controlled diet, including a gastric balloon, and lifestyle changes while the balloon is in place and after it is dispensed.
How Much Weight Loss With a Gastric Balloon?
The amount of weight loss depends on changes to your lifestyle. Placing a balloon in your stomach slows down the time it takes for food to empty in your stomach. Your doctor will remove the balloon after six months or less, depending on your goals and health recommendations.
You are expected to lose about 7 to 15 per cent of your body weight within six months of inserting a gastric balloon into your stomach. Total weight loss can vary between 30 and 47 per cent based on a summary of currently available treatments. The flatulence in your stomach makes you feel full faster than usual when you eat, resulting in less food being consumed while eating. It also changes the levels of hormones that control your appetite.
The gastric balloon in your stomach can help treat or improve obesity. This will reduce the risk of weight-related health problems such as high blood pressure, obstructive sleep apnea, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, or stroke. Remember, inserting a gastric balloon can only do after all other natural weight loss procedures without improvement.
Benefits of balloon surgery
- The most elegant factor is that you don’t have to choose invasive surgery.
- There are no risks associated with gastric balloon surgery.
- The cost of bariatric balloon surgery is not as high as other weight-loss surgeries.
- You won’t get a cut, and the balloons are also temporary that will allow you to develop new eating habits in the long term, which helps a lot with weight loss.
- Weight loss can also correct all obesity-related health problems like type 2 diabetes.
- This procedure looks like about 20 to 30% weight loss, but it may vary depending on the patient and their circumstances.
Now is the time to choose the easiest way to lose weight and live a healthy life through balloon surgery.
However, the gastric balloon procedure is not suitable for everyone. Here Dr Venu Gopal, Pareek carefully considers your weight loss goals, current health, and lifestyle when recommending a gastric balloon or other weight loss program. If you are considering a bariatric procedure, learn about the qualifications and requirements. A bariatric surgeon Dr Venu Gopal Pareek, who meets the requirements, will perform a complete examination and evaluation of each patient before the surgery.
To learn more about how you can benefit from medical assistance to achieve a healthy weight:
- Contact our Dr Venu Gopal Pareek or order an online consultation via this website.
- Take the next step on your weight loss journey. Call us today at 091777 77715.
About Dr Venugopal Pareek – Bariatric Surgeon
Dr Venugopal Pareek, a Consultant Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon in Sunshine Hospitals has done more than 9000 surgeries in 15 years. He is one of the best bariatric surgeons in Hyderabad, an expert in performing various Bariatric surgical procedures like gastric bypass surgery, sleeve gastrectomy, adjustable gastric band, and biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch. He has attended several conferences and published articles on bariatric surgery in various national and international journals.