How will bariatric surgery improve my overall health?
Bariatric surgery can be life-changing for those who are obese but are unable to achieve long-term success with other weight loss attempts. Apart from taking those extra kilos off, weight loss surgery has other benefits too. Gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy are the most commonly done procedures, and they lead to sustainable weight loss.
What is the principle behind weight loss surgery?
There are mainly 2 principles behind Bariatric surgery:-
- Reduce the stomach’s storing capacity, so that the patient starts feeling full with less food intake.
- Limit the absorption of calories.
Which option is best suitable for you is decided mostly by your treating doctor. With a BMI being 35, health risks will increase and it means the patient should lose 65 pounds or 100 kilos to lower the health risk. If no action is taken one could develop serious health issues. Any person with BMI over 40 is 99% a candidate for surgery.
How does Bariatric Surgery improve my overall health?
Bariatric surgery offers people significant and sustained weight loss and improves health by reducing the risk of many serious health complications as listed below:-
- Helps control Type 2 diabetes:- Research was conducted on many type-2 diabetic patients on how the surgery changed their sugar levels. The study found that for at least 3 years the patients could become free from insulin and other medications. But after that also as long as the patient maintained their healthy weight they could successfully wade off medication and lead a healthy life.
- Better cardiovascular health:- It has been proven that after weight loss surgery the risk of coronary heart disease, stroke and peripheral heart disease reduces. Reduced weight after the surgery also prevents fatalities that could occur due to stroke, hypertension and myocardial infarction. Levels of blood pressure and cholesterol have a high chance of returning to normal, hence improving overall well-being.
- Improved mental health:- Along with physical health issues many overweight people suffer from depression due to poor body image and social stigma. Overweight in youngsters prevents enjoying physical activities leading to social isolation and depression. Hence shedding off the extra weight improves emotional health and also renews their self-confidence.
- Better sleeping patterns: Many patients shared that they are able to sleep better after weight loss surgery and having a good sleep is one of the main indications of a perfect life.
- Joint pain relief:- All the excess weight has to be carried by the weight-bearing joints, causing chronic pain and joint damage. Due to the excess weight, the patient already leads a lethargic life but also the chronic pain in the joints makes it even more difficult to carry on their daily tasks. Reduction of joint pains is one of the signs of relief after the surgery. They also stop using the pain medication and application of pain relief oils etc.
- Increased chances of conception. Being overweight is one of the main reasons for infertility. Being overweight leads to PCOS in women which makes conception difficult. Many women undergo weight loss surgery with an aim to get pregnant. However, it is advisable to wait for at least a year for conceiving so that the mother gains sufficient nutrients after the surgery.
- Other silent health benefits – Many patients have benefited from enhanced metabolism, reduced pregnancy complications and stress-free delivery, gallbladder diseases.
Weight loss surgery is one milestone and the journey doesn’t end there. You have to follow a healthy lifestyle too. So before the surgery, itself get mentally prepared to alter your dietary and exercise habits. Due to the small stomach size, the patient has to eat very slowly and consume tiny portions. The nutritionist will work with you and recommend meal plans, vitamins and supplements that you should take after the surgery. One has to take care of their diet and regular exercise. But one can get all the above benefits by choosing a well-experienced surgeon and a clinic which has an end to end care system. Dr V.Pareek and his team have extensive experience and will support you even after the surgery. Dr V.Pareek will fully understand your weight loss journey before suggesting surgery for you. Reach us at +91 91-777-77715.