Is robotic bariatric surgery safe/better than laparoscopic surgery?
Surgical techniques in the medical industry have developed tremendously over the past few decades, especially regarding safety and precision. Over the past few decades, bariatric surgeries have been an effective solution for obesity, and their surgical techniques have also improved exceptionally, especially with robotic bariatric surgery. Though robotic surgeries have been available since the early 2000s, technological advancements over the past 10 years have made these procedures easier for surgeons to perform, which has made them widely used.
Robotic bariatric surgery is quite similar to laparoscopic bariatric surgery, which is a minimally invasive procedure. Both are safe and effective treatment options for weight loss.
However, your bariatric surgeon will decide the right weight loss procedure for you depending on various factors, such as the abilities of the surgeon, individual needs, and resources available in the hospital.
What is laparoscopic bariatric surgery?
Laparoscopic bariatric surgery, also known as keyhole surgery, requires a few small incisions and some specialised instruments with a camera attached to one of the probes. This offers many advantages over open surgery, such as less scarring, quick recovery, a lower risk of complications, etc.
What is robotic bariatric surgery?
It is an advanced surgical technique that carries out weight-loss procedures with the help of a robotic-assisted surgical system. It contains robotic arms with specialized tools and a high-definition camera controlled by the surgeons sitting at a console. Robotic systems offer enhanced precision and flexibility. It also provides a 3D view and lets the surgeon perform complicated movements, especially during complex bariatric surgeries.
Which is safe/better bariatric surgery or laparoscopic surgery?
Both surgical procedures are minimally invasive and are almost performed using similar techniques. However, the robotic technology used during surgery is far more advanced. The robotic hands can reach deeper where the surgeon’s hands can’t access them during traditional or laparoscopic surgery and are also free from certain complications, like normal tremors. As robotic surgery provides a clear and precise view and greater flexibility for the surgeon, patients experience less pain, quicker recovery, and fewer postoperative complications.
Below are some of the factors considered for both surgeries:
Robotic bariatric surgery
- Robotic surgery is known for its exceptional precision and flexibility because the system uses high-end tools attached to the robot’s hands that the surgeon controls. During complicated bariatric procedures, these can be very helpful.
- The 3D view is another specialty of bariatric procedures. It helps provide a better view of the patient’s body during the operation.
- Laparoscopy and robotic procedures, both are time-taking procedures. So surgeons might feel fatigued. However, robotic procedures take longer than laparoscopy, but the fatigue experienced by surgeons is much less.
- To master the use of the robotic system, especially for bariatric surgeries, surgeons require extensive training and hands-on practice.
Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery
- Laparoscopic bariatric surgery has a long and successful history because it has been practised for a longer period of time. It is a safe and efficient bariatric procedure for weight loss.
- Comparatively, laparoscopic bariatric surgery is less expensive than robotic surgery.
- Doctors have been using laparoscopic techniques for several decades. It is a widely used minimally invasive weight loss option, and most bariatric surgeons have become skilled at laparoscopy. So the efficiency is high.
- Many studies have been conducted on the safety and efficacy of laparoscopic bariatric procedures. The outcomes have proven that it is highly successful in treating obesity.
However, several factors can influence the safety and success of bariatric surgery, most notably the patient’s health, the surgeon’s experience and expertise, and the type of procedure. Both robotic and laparoscopic approaches have their benefits and drawbacks; in general, both are safe and effective, and the choice of treatment depends on the patient’s health and the experience of the surgical team.
If you want to undergo bariatric surgery, you should consult Dr. Venugoal Pareek, one of the best laparoscopic and robotic bariatric surgeons in Hyderabad. Knowing about bariatric procedures is very important for patients so that they can make an informed decision depending on their situation. Call +91 91777 77715 to book your appointment with the doctor.