Pregnancy After Bariatric Surgery – Do’s & Don’ts
After having weight loss surgery or bariatric surgery, you will not start losing your excess weight right away because it is just the initial step in the weight loss process, and you must still follow certain guidelines after surgery in order to achieve desired results.
When you’ve tried all other methods and have not been able to lose weight, weight loss surgery may be the best option for you. Although surgery is a significant step in getting in shape, it is only the first step. If you want to achieve your weight loss goals, you will need to make many essential changes to your regular diet and lifestyle.
Pregnancy after BARIATRIC surgery
Similarly, pregnancy after weight loss surgery is safe but immediately after bariatric surgery is not recommended. Before getting pregnant, you should wait around 12 to 16 months. To avoid causing nutritional deficiencies to your baby, this is important.
It may be more challenging for you to deal with pregnancy after undergoing weight loss surgery than other women.
It is extremely important to be mindful of your calorie consumption. When you undergo weight loss surgery, you are forced to restrict calorie intake in order to achieve your ideal weight goal.
As a pregnant woman, you will need to adjust your diet in order to ensure that you and your baby receive adequate nutrition.
After weight loss surgery, if you are pregnant, you have to work with your dietician and obstetrician to develop a meal plan that is healthy for you and your baby. You may experience morning sickness strongly following your bariatric surgery. Consult with your Bariatric Surgeon and discuss about the medication you need to take and lifestyle changes to be made to overcome nausea effectively.
Be ready for physical changes. It’s natural for you to notice that you are getting bigger when pregnant.
After putting so much effort into losing weight, you could start to feel anxious about gaining weight again. But keep in mind that you are carrying a child and that, following delivery, probably your weight will return to normal.
Do’s and Don’ts BARIATRIC surgery
- Follow your doctor’s instructions for nutrition and exercise before, during, and after pregnancy.
- Eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains.
- Take a prenatal vitamin to ensure you are getting enough nutrients for your baby.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
- Monitor your weight gain throughout your pregnancy.
- Exercise regularly, with your doctor’s approval.
- Attend regular prenatal appointments to monitor your health and the health of your baby.
- Talk to your doctor about any medications you are taking.
- Don’t skip meals or eat too little.
- Don’t take any supplements or medications without consulting your doctor first.
- Don’t engage in high-impact activities such as running or contact sports.
- Don’t ignore signs of dehydration, such as dizziness or fatigue.
- Don’t ignore signs of preterm labor.
- Don’t ignore signs of excessive weight gain.
- Don’t ignore signs of anaemia or other nutrient deficiencies.
- Don’t ignore signs of infection or other medical concerns.
- Avoid drinking alcohol
During pregnancy after weight loss surgery, here are a few things to know
- Weight loss surgery can boost your fertility
- Women who have had weight-loss surgery should also take extra precautions to avoid infection and dehydration.
- Women who have had weight-loss surgery should be sure to get regular prenatal care to ensure a healthy pregnancy.
- Women who have had weight-loss surgery may need to be monitored more closely during pregnancy.
- It may be necessary to see an obstetrician who is familiar with bariatric patients
- The risk of certain pregnancy complications due to obesity drops
- Higher chances of normal delivery
Learn More About Weight Loss Surgery and Pregnancy
After a weight loss surgery, it is important to be consistent in all your actions when you are pregnant. Don’t give up on eating healthy, exercising, staying hydrated and getting plenty of sleep. Maintain a regular medical schedule with the doctor.
Weight loss doesn’t have to be compromised by having a baby. Keeping your goal in mind and making the right decisions will always be important.
The good news is that you’re not alone in this endeavour. If you are having any questions about becoming pregnant after a weight loss surgery like gastric bypass surgery or any other bariatric surgery or if you want to undergo bariatric surgery for the first time, consult Dr. Venugopal Pareek, one of the best bariatric surgeons in Hyderabad, he can help you in your journey to becoming a healthy you.